Author Topic: Silent Witness Melbourne  (Read 5667 times)

Offline csutak40

• Guru
    • View Profile
Silent Witness Melbourne
« on: December 08, 2015, 12:43:24 AM »
Silent Witness

'The World Cruise'

9Gem, 8:40pm, Tue, 8 Dec 2015, 70 minutes

and

Silent Witness

'The World Cruise - Part 2'

9Gem, 9:50pm, Tue, 8 Dec 2015, 70 minutes

I am confused for two reasons.  Firstly, this is now on GEM, whereas it used to be on the ABC.  So, is it "new" to Gem only?

Secondly, if it is indeed new, then how come that out of the two episodes one is repeat the other is not?
Cheers,
Judy
Windows 7 Media Center; Last Update Feb 20 2006; Beyonwiz T4, T2

Offline IanL-S

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • IceTV SKIPPA wiki
Re: Silent Witness Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 06:57:34 AM »
Given the cast and the year it was made, they would both be a repeat (previously shown on ABC). Not sure if it has previously been shown on 9Gem.

Ian
IceTV: 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRt + SKIPPA + T2
No IceTV: a few Toppys
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and Topfield Aus Forum for Toppy help
ozSKIPPA wiki coming soon (I hope)

Offline csutak40

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 08:01:50 PM »
Given the cast and the year it was made, they would both be a repeat (previously shown on ABC). Not sure if it has previously been shown on 9Gem.

Ian

Still hasn't been changed by IceTV

Offline TimC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 11:01:37 PM »
The sorts of things are always a dilemma.  I think that IceTV have chosen to shows previously shown on other channels but run for the first time on another as first runs.

There are a lot of people that have never bothered to even look at the ABC.
Toppy, 2400, Toppy 2460, Skippa

Offline csutak40

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 12:49:13 AM »
The sorts of things are always a dilemma.  I think that IceTV have chosen to shows previously shown on other channels but run for the first time on another as first runs.
Well, firstly, that never used to be the case.  They  prided themselves on showing everything  that has played before as repeat (for instance  The Big Bang Theory on 7), whether or not it was on a different network. 
Secondly, if that is what they are doing, as this particular show is made up of two episodes, why mark the first as repeat and not the second?
There are a lot of people that have never bothered to even look at the ABC.
Well, I suspect that those people wouldn't have it set in IceTV as a series recording  ;D

Offline TimC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 08:17:59 AM »
Well, firstly, that never used to be the case.  They  prided themselves on showing everything  that has played before as repeat (for instance  The Big Bang Theory on 7), whether or not it was on a different network. 

This has not been my experience.  e.g. Law and Order was reported as first Runs when Seven ran reruns previously shown on Ten a few years ago.
Well, I suspect that those people wouldn't have it set in IceTV as a series recording  ;D

This actually reinforces my point. Those people would set a new series recording when it came up on a commercial station expecting the episodes to be first runs.

Setting IceTV to record the first runs only a particular channel can resolve the problem. Just what constitutes a rerun anyway.
If Nine Melbourne runs an episode and Prime doesn't, Is it a Rerun? Can IceTV successfully keep track of all the possible permutations?

As I said it can be a dilemma.

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 08:28:04 AM »
I think I may have found a clue to what's happening. IMDB shows Silent Witness Two Below Zero as being a 120-min telemovie. If it was shown that way when it was on the ABC, the IceGuide would need some re-jigging to handle it being shown as two parts, as it is being done on Gem.

There's a hint of this in the IceGuide titles: the first part is titled (ACT IceGuide) as Silent Witness (2001) Two Below Zero, while the second part is titled Silent Witness Two Below Zero (Part 2) [my emphasis].

Perhaps the first part is matching with the earlier ABC showing, but the second part isn't.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 08:32:21 AM »
As I said it can be a dilemma.
No doubt. But why is the first part shown as a repeat, but the second part is shown as a first run? Unless the ABC left their audience hanging as to whodunnit. Though it shouldn't have been too much of a problem for the audience; they need only have applied the rule "Sam Ryan Is Always Right" ;)

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 08:42:21 AM »

I have Silent Witness set as a series recording (from when it was shown on the ABC), and I'm not getting any recordings of it showing up for the episodes on Gem.

And another oddity. As I noted above, there are two different titles for the Gem instance of the series: "Silent Witness (2001)" and "Silent Witness". My series recording has yet another series title: "Silent Witness (1996)". According to IMDB, 1966 is indeed the year that Silent Witness first ran.

Maybe we need to get Sam Ryan in on the case ;)

Offline IanL-S

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • IceTV SKIPPA wiki
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 12:02:22 PM »
Peter I am getting them for 9Gem. Are you sure you did not limit episodes to ABC? I use different PVR for ABC/SBS/Ten and Seven/Nine, so I specify networks to be 'searched'.

Ian

Offline csutak40

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 12:42:02 PM »
Peter I am getting them for 9Gem. Are you sure you did not limit episodes to ABC? I use different PVR for ABC/SBS/Ten and Seven/Nine, so I specify networks to be 'searched'.

Ian

Yeah, I think that must be the reason.

BTW, looks like John doesn't work weekends any longer either.  So, if no one is at the wheel on weekends, that could cause lots of mistakes in the schedule.

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 01:15:11 PM »
Peter I am getting them for 9Gem. Are you sure you did not limit episodes to ABC?

You're right. I just looked at the series recording and it's ABC only. It was set up a long time ago, so I don't know why I did it that way.

I use different PVR for ABC/SBS/Ten and Seven/Nine, so I specify networks to be 'searched'.

I use different PVRs for different series, but I've never needed to specify the channel to achieve that.

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 04:40:05 PM »
Hi Guys Just to clarify.

I hope no one missed anything with Silent Witness. Looking at all of the comments I can shed a little light, firstly if we can determine that the show has been on before it will be marked as a repeat irrespective of whether it was on ABC or Gem. In the case of Silent Witness we had that it had been shown previously as a one hour episode and it was scheduled to be shown for 2 hours and twenty minutes. Some times these are telemovies but I could not establish this in this case and thought (maybe unwisely) that I should break it up and create a second episode in case parts of it were new. Not sure if putting it in for two hours and twenty minutes as a repeat would have been better?

Secondly I definitely do work on the weekends and must admit that I had a few issues over the weekend so was a little tardy in keeping the forum up to date, hopefully this will not happen again.

I must say I do appreciate your feed back in advance that I can rectify and am looking forward to the day we only have to answer help questions.

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 05:06:58 PM »
According to IMDB, seasons 1-4 of SW were all 2 part stories, 120 min each.

In season 5, where "Two Below Zero" appears, are all single-part stories, but again all 120 min.

In seasons 6-9, they're back to two parts each 120 min.

In season 10, they become two parts each of about 60min (I've seen 65min and 58min).

In season 19 (coming in 2016, according to IMDB), they're back to two 120-min parts.

I think the total of 2 hours 20 min for "Two Below Zero" is probably the original 2 hours + ad breaks (and perhaps a bit of cutting, though perhaps in that time slot they will really only do 10 min of ads in 70 min).

Offline IanL-S

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • IceTV SKIPPA wiki
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 05:44:30 PM »
Just to confuse matters, some programs produced in the UK are available in two forms; all in one or split into two parts. This has happened with Silent Witness, Agatha Christie's Poirot, Dalzile & Pascoe (and there are probably others). On the ABC Agatha Christie's Poirot were, to the best of my knowledge, always shown as a single program; when repeated on GEM the longer ones were invariably broadcast in two parts (the exception may be the Mysterious Affairs at Sytles which was show as one episode). I suspect the two-part episodes were packaged for domestic consumption and the combined episodes were packaged for export sales (particularly for the United States cable networks).

Just to confuse things the same episodes of Silent Witness and Dalzile & Pascoe have been show as a single program and in two parts.

Ian

PS This can be very confusing.

Update: The earlier episodes of Agatha Christie's Poirot broadcast on GEM were the remastered versions, not the original versions broadcast on the ABC (and I think before that on Seven). I suspect they were recorded on film and then transferred to videotape (going by the quality of the end credits which are blurred on the original versions).

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 06:05:56 PM by IanL-S »

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Silent Witness

Started by mac37 on IceTV EPG Content

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2019, 11:16:40 PM
by mac37
xx
Silent Witness 'Finding Rachel - Part 2'

Started by aeb001 on IceTV EPG Content

0 Replies