Author Topic: Should Heroes on 7HD be considered a repeat?  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Mantorok

• View Profile
Should Heroes on 7HD be considered a repeat?
« on: November 28, 2008, 03:43:53 PM »
Next Thursday (4-Dec-2008) Channel Seven is showing the same Heroes episode (The Eclipse: Part 1) at 10:30pm on 7SD and then 11:30pm on 7HD.  The 11:30pm episode is flagged as a REPEAT.  I've got my Ice Interactive set up to only record first run episodes on 7HD so its not picking it up.

I think in this case the episode should not be considered a repeat if it was first run on the same day and a different channel.

What do others think?

NOTE:  I've only checked this for the Melbourne region.

Kirben

Re: Should Heroes on 7HD be considered a repeat?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 04:06:23 PM »
Yes, Heroes on Seven HD should be considered a repeat, since that episode is shown in an earlier timeslot on Seven SD.

Adding any exclusions of this type, really defeats the purpose of the 'first run' option.

If you only want the HD versions, than just switch to recording first run and repeats (on Seven HD) for Heroes series.

Offline Mantorok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 04:14:36 PM »
That will work as long as Seven don't put any genuine repeats of Heroes on their 7HD channel.

Offline csutak40

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 01:44:24 PM »
Next Thursday (4-Dec-2008) Channel Seven is showing the same Heroes episode (The Eclipse: Part 1) at 10:30pm on 7SD and then 11:30pm on 7HD.  The 11:30pm episode is flagged as a REPEAT.  I've got my Ice Interactive set up to only record first run episodes on 7HD so its not picking it up.

I think in this case the episode should not be considered a repeat if it was first run on the same day and a different channel.

What do others think?

I disagree. (sort of  ;D)  I am always disappointed when I record something thinking it is a new ep, only to discover that it is a repeat (only new on the HD channel)  Weeds is a good case in point.  I suppose, if the title of the episode is shown so that it is easy to see that it is repeated from earlier on the day, you could have a point.  But what if someone only wants to record it once on either SD or HD?  As someone else has already said, it is better to record something that is a repeat than to miss something that was marked repeat and wasn't.
Cheers,
Judy
Windows 7 Media Center; Last Update Feb 20 2006; Beyonwiz T4, T2

Offline futzle

• IceTV Beta
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 06:11:58 PM »
Next Thursday (4-Dec-2008) Channel Seven is showing the same Heroes episode (The Eclipse: Part 1) at 10:30pm on 7SD and then 11:30pm on 7HD.  The 11:30pm episode is flagged as a REPEAT. 

I'm with you, Mantorok (sort of).  A user might set a series recording to "This Channel Only" and assume that "First Runs" means "First runs on this channel only".  (Which it doesn't, but by the time the user figures that out, the episode has passed and all the user can do is post an indignant message to the IceTV forums.)

I'd like to see the option extended to encompass choices like:
- First run only.
- First run on this channel.
- Not yet recorded by me*.
- In the latest currently-screening season.
- Any occurrence.

On a side note, I wonder how this episode of Heroes will be handled by the "Prefer SD" and "Prefer HD" keyword thingies, given that they start at different times.

* Yes, this would involve a database and added complexity.  But it's probably what most users mean when they ask for First Run Only.

Madeleine IceGuide

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 07:23:39 PM »
I am always disappointed when I record something thinking it is a new ep, only to discover that it is a repeat (only new on the HD channel)  Weeds is a good case in point. 

Re. Weeds. Yes, this should be marked as a repeat because 9HD has started all over again from the beginning. Working out the exact point where new eps will begin is a problem because it's a Channel Nine show. (I believe they showed Season 1 on SD and then pulled it soon after Season 2 started... ??) This seems to be why it's been left as is and not repeat flagged.

Offline MrFlibbles

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 12:03:24 AM »

What do others think?

I would personally agree with the 7HD show not being listed as a repeat as it was on earlier in the day.  I have my ICE interactive set the same as yours Mantorok.

Perhaps I need to rethink how I want to use the recording options as I did assume ""This Channel Only" and assume that "First Runs" means "First runs on this channel only"" as listed by futzle.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Recordings being scheduled that shouldn't be...

Started by prl on IceTV EPG Content

3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2018, 10:09:28 AM
by prl
xx
The Bridge Thurs 16/8 2:50 AM Should be Season 3 ep 10?

Started by grampus on IceTV EPG Content

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2018, 02:12:12 PM
by grampus
xx
Engineering Space - surely it should be a series?

Started by prl on IceTV EPG Content

2 Replies
Last post January 29, 2018, 11:22:07 AM
by prl
xx
Forum software still Post-ing when it should just Preview

Started by prl on General Discussions

3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2016, 10:02:40 PM
by bodogbodog