Poll

Change To River Cottage - Bites

leave As Is
4 (66.7%)
Create new Series
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: November 29, 2015, 03:12:35 PM

Author Topic: River Cottage - Bites  (Read 1237 times)

Offline John

• View Profile
River Cottage - Bites
« on: November 24, 2015, 02:34:27 PM »
There has been a request to have the mini episodes of this under it's own series, so instead of

River Cottage  Episode: Bites - Wild Fruit it would be

River Cottage - Bites Episode: Wild Fruit

They basically appear to be short parts of episodes from River Cottage so could be taken as separate episodes.

Any preferences?

Offline simoncasey

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: River Cottage - Bites
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 03:20:26 PM »
I think it sets a wrong presendence in icetv for separate series names for what is the same show. Part of the advantage that icetv brings is that it shows have the same title so are always recorded even if there is a special etc. if we go down this path then icetv becomes less set and forget as we would need to be checking the guide in case versions of the same series end up with new names. There's already quite few shows that do this.

Offline IanL-S

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • IceTV SKIPPA wiki
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 03:47:36 PM »
Simon, the problem you refer to could be over come by an option "include snippets" in the series recording which would be active by default.

Ian
IceTV: 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRt + SKIPPA + T2 + U4
No IceTV: a few Toppys
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and Topfield Aus Forum for Toppy help

Offline raymondjpg

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 04:08:17 PM »
Any preferences?

My preference would be to maintain the integrity of the show name, and keep the IceTV EPG entry as it is. Anyone seeing "Bites" in the subtitles should be well aware of what it is - an extract from a (presumably previous) full-featured show. Let's not dignify extracts with their own show names.
Topfield TF7100HDPVRt, Beyonwiz DP-P2, Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200, Hauppauge WinTV-MiniStick 01240, Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2)

Offline simoncasey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 04:15:42 PM »
Simon, the problem you refer to could be over come by an option "include snippets" in the series recording which would be active by default.

Ian
Yes, its possible that a software change could solve it but I'm concerned about the suggestion as proposed, not for that specific show but by setting a precedent for the future. Also, my problem wasn't just about snippets. I think a better option would be to include or not include variations eg one off specials.

This is compounded by icetv still being behind with Coming Soon and the weekly highlights missing some of the big events.

A good example this week was "The Graham Norton Show". Adele - Live in London was incorrectly listed as being The Graham Norton Show and was therefore recorded by my pvr. This was very useful as it never made it to coming soon or in the highlights of the week even though it was a big world wide ratings hit and the bit where she pretends to be Jenny has 26M YouTube hits.

My concern about having multiple versions of the same series is that we will miss new versions unless they are clearly identified in coming soon, or if there is a way to automatically record them or we have to scan the guilde every week as we can't rely on icetv.

Offline csutak40

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 06:31:14 PM »
Any preferences?

My preference would be to maintain the integrity of the show name, and keep the IceTV EPG entry as it is. Anyone seeing "Bites" in the subtitles should be well aware of what it is - an extract from a (presumably previous) full-featured show. Let's not dignify extracts with their own show names.

As far as I'm concerned, these are actually repeats (well, repeats of part of a show) so should be marked as such.  I have this problem with quite a few shows - I can't set and forget, I either have to go through and delete timers or delete the show itself.  I suppose now that I have 4 tuners it doesn't matter as much, but certainly did before, when I only had two
Cheers,
Judy
Windows 7 Media Center; Last Update Feb 20 2006; Beyonwiz T4, T2

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Dangerous Drivers' School - repeat

Started by prl on IceTV EPG Content

6 Replies
Last post January 31, 2016, 10:55:58 AM
by prl
xx
AC/DC Live At The River Plate - Perth