Author Topic: Mechanics of IceTV  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Poida

• View Profile
Mechanics of IceTV
« on: May 05, 2009, 05:51:24 PM »
Hi all

I have a Beyonwiz DP-P1, and am using the free 3 month subscription. So far, it's great.

Just a newbie question or two:
1.  In other countries (I'm told.....) the start and end times of shows are included (somehow) in the data stream with the show, so recording is kicked off and stopped exactly at the start and finish of the required show (when the PVR is turned on, otherwise it uses the approx time from the EPG to turn the thing on and record). If this is true, why aren't we doing this here in Aus?
2.  Now for the really dumb question... If I set a show/series to record, via IceTV, does it dump that data into the BW, so that it is like a timer setting that is done manually, and so that it will turn itself on and record the program OR must the PVR be left turned on at all times? (I understand that it will not get it's UPDATES when turned off, but that's okay, but that's not part of my question)

Thickies of the world UNTIE!

Pete
Too much technology! My head hurts.

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanics of IceTV
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 09:21:50 PM »
  • Analog TV in Switzerland had that feature > 20 years ago. There are similar systems for digital TV. From other discussions on the forums, many countries that have this feature have only state-owned TV networks (e.g. Switzerland when I was there). In other countries it is mandated by license conditions. But not in Australia. You'd think that the networks want to make it difficult for peope to (legally) record programs, wouldn't you.  ::)
  • Yes to all your questions. Each timer IceTV wants to record someting it sets an ordinary Once timer on the Beyonwiz. This timer behaves like any other timer (set manually by Menu>Timer List>Add, or manually from the EPG), except for the fact that IceTV creates it for you.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Offline Poida

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 09:58:38 PM »
Thank you for that. I was concerned about leaving it on at all times because of the continual HDD writing that takes place, and I don't want to disable that so that when I am watching telly it's nice to be able to rewind.

I guess that when it starts up to record something it will also get the updated times etc, so that solves the issue of getting other programmed info.

Offline Poida

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 10:02:50 PM »
Oops, managed to post before finishing!

I guess that if we were to implement that system IceTV would be in a bit of strife, because it is doing what would be an automatic feature, and it would be more accurate because it is not relying on human intervention with programming the times. Just by the way, how do they do it? The TV stations can't get the times right, how can the techies get the info and get it right? Is that waht the legal issue was with the 9 network?

Thanks again
Pete

Offline tonymy01

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 10:35:12 PM »
Just do what some of us do, and setup a daily VCR/view timer for a particular time.   I have mine for 4am so I know it won't be clashing with anything at that time.  It is a 15minute timer.   It gets the updates from ICE then if I didn't have the PVR on the day before (which is unlikely usually, but if I am away for a few days could be a possibility, especially with not much on the box sometimes!).
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 08:43:11 AM »
... Just by the way, how do they do it? The TV stations can't get the times right, how can the techies get the info and get it right? Is that waht the legal issue was with the 9 network?

Thanks again
Pete
It depends what you mean by "The TV stations can't get the times right". If you mean that the TV stations sometimes publish incorrect schedules, IceTV probably can't do better. If you mean that TV stations don't start broadcasting programs at the scheduled times, IceTV can't do much about that. The TV stations have never done anything about it, and many people believe that it's deliberate, to help stop people switching to a different channel at the end of a show. That problem is addressed by adding padding (extra recording time) before the scheduled start time and after the scheduled stop time of a program. On my Beyonwiz, I have 2 min padding before, 15 min after. This handles most delays, but not all. Others use more or less padding.

Offline Poida

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 06:00:35 PM »
Well, I have now set up padding, but 5min pre and 30min post, with a priority on the post. I will have to see if that means it will get the padding at the expense of a scheduled programme, or it will ignore the pre-padding of the scheduled recording that follows it and start when the schedule says to, if you know what I mean ;)

Thank you for all the helpful and informative replies.

Pete

Offline tonymy01

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 06:09:19 PM »
I don't like having a priority set as it will eat into another timer if there is a clash, where a priority of "none" will simply juggle the padding (to a potential padding of 0 mins) if there is a clash but your main timer period (the advertised show start/length) is recorded for all timers untouched by other padding.
So I have 3mins pre padding, 20mins post padding, and priority of none.   I would say after you lose 20mins of a clashing show rather than just the potential for a minute or two, you will realise setting the padding priority to none is the best compromise.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 06:11:36 PM by tonymy01 »

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 06:31:36 PM »
I don't like having a priority set as it will eat into another timer if there is a clash, where a priority of "none" will simply juggle the padding (to a potential padding of 0 mins) if there is a clash but your main timer period (the advertised show start/length) is recorded for all timers untouched by other padding.
So I have 3mins pre padding, 20mins post padding, and priority of none.   I would say after you lose 20mins of a clashing show rather than just the potential for a minute or two, you will realise setting the padding priority to none is the best compromise.
There's a detailed explanation of how padding works in the Beyonwiz forum.

Offline Poida

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 07:58:18 PM »
I didn't realise it would get so complex.....! Thankfully there is this forum and what would appear to be a HUGE knowlege-base. I will remove the priority, and see how we go.

Again, thanks so much for the help.

Pete

Offline tonymy01

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 12:23:53 AM »
The crux though is that if you have a padding priority set, if there is a clash where it can't record because of overlap, it will try to maintain the priority and takes precedence even over another timer start time for example.

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 09:11:16 AM »
... Thankfully there is this forum and what would appear to be a HUGE knowlege-base. ...

The capability of the various DTV/PVR forums is attested to by the "salesman" story in this post on the Beyonwiz forum.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Synopsis for Panic Mechanics

Started by prl on IceTV EPG Content

2 Replies
Last post December 06, 2011, 08:38:32 PM
by prl