Author Topic: Kingdom - Season 2 Episode 1 summary  (Read 1338 times)

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
Kingdom - Season 2 Episode 1 summary
« on: July 26, 2011, 07:05:05 PM »
He [Kingdom] helps Cynthia from the Womens' Institute prevent the local light house from closure, ...
:shudder:

How about "Women's Institute protect the local lighthouse from closure"?
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdom - Season 2 Episode 1 summary
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 05:45:32 PM »
He [Kingdom] helps Cynthia from the Womens' Institute prevent the local light house from closure, ...

Well, the apostrophe has at least now been fixed.

But "prevent from closure"? Really?

Surely "prevent from closing" (prevent from doing something) or "protect from closure" (protect from something)?

Offline raymondjpg

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 07:21:08 PM »

Well, the apostrophe has at least now been fixed.

But "prevent from closure"? Really?

Surely "prevent from closing" (prevent from doing something) or "protect from closure" (protect from something)?
In general I agree, particularly the apostrophe and lighthouse (one word), but at least there is an attempt here at episode information. I despair at the amount of generic blurbs for shows, some of them prime time.

Looking at News.com regularly I am starting to see illiteracy creeping into reporting and sub-editing, not to mention spelling and punctuation all over the place in on-line comments from people who clearly have something to say but lack the discipline to put it into English. Not just a reflection of ethnic origins I fear, and for many good enough. There is a reason that English has become an almost universal Lingua franca, and mangling it is not only disrespectful to the reader but defeats the purpose of the written word - to communicate.
Topfield TF7100HDPVRt, Beyonwiz DP-P2, Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200, Hauppauge WinTV-MiniStick 01240, Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2)

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 07:30:20 PM »
I'm perpetually grumbling about the subediting in the Canberra Times. No-one there appears to have the slightest inkling about when a compound noun should be separate words, hyphenated or a single word.

It's depressing when people whose profession is supposed to be communication don't know how to use the language correctly.

Back on topic, this particular mess seems to be coming from the ABC. I remember when they all talked proper on Auntie. :)

Share via facebook Share via twitter