Author Topic: Jonathan Creek - Repeats  (Read 2062 times)

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
Jonathan Creek - Repeats
« on: March 02, 2011, 08:38:37 PM »
I've been meaning to post this for a while. The current series of Jonathan Creek (7TWO Mondays 20:4) are repeats. Even if the Yahoo7 TV guide doesn't admit it. Perhaps they were first on ABC 1, making them "network premieres". Or something.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Madeleine IceGuide

Re: Jonathan Creek - Repeats
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:40:08 PM »
Thanks, they aren't marked as repeats in other guides, however we do try and catch as many of these "fakes" on the digital channels as possible. This one slipped through but we'll keep an eye on it when it's next scheduled.

Offline raymondjpg

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 09:58:46 AM »
Thanks, they aren't marked as repeats in other guides, however we do try and catch as many of these "fakes" on the digital channels as possible. This one slipped through but we'll keep an eye on it when it's next scheduled.

Hardly "slipped through" as there has been some discussion in this forum about whether or not Jonathan Creek currently showing on 7TWO should be marked as repeats.

In my opinion not, unless someone can come up with evidence of reasonably recent dates of showing on TV in Australia.

I don't think that badging 7TWO's implied claim that these are not repeats as "fakes" is warranted in this case. Perhaps if they were shown relatively recently on one of 7's other illustrious channels, but I don't recall having seen any.
Topfield TF7100HDPVRt, Beyonwiz DP-P2, Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200, Hauppauge WinTV-MiniStick 01240, Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2)

Madeleine IceGuide

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
We have a longstanding policy to mark shows as repeats if they have been shown on any other FTA channel because feedback from subscribers has indicated that this is what most people prefer. If Jonathan Creek has screened on ABC then it will be repeat flagged on 7TWO.

Thanks

Offline raymondjpg

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 11:47:45 AM »
We have a longstanding policy to mark shows as repeats if they have been shown on any other FTA channel because feedback from subscribers has indicated that this is what most people prefer. If Jonathan Creek has screened on ABC then it will be repeat flagged on 7TWO.

Thanks

My point was not that a show should not be marked as a repeat if it has been shown on any other FTA channel, rather than if it had been shown recently. Also my point about "fakes" was limited to (relatively recent) prior showings on a particular network.

I certainly prefer a show to be marked as a repeat if it has been screened recently on FTA TV in Australia, but even that has its pitfalls. For example "Criminal Justice" (Series One) shown on ABC2 on August/September 2010 was marked as a repeat as a version of that series that had recently been shown on ABC1. Yet the ABC1 screening was one of the BBC's "abridged" versions, whereas the ABC2 screening was the full five episodes as originally shown by the BBC in the UK. I think that the five full episodes of "The Last Enemy" shown on ABC2 January 2011 came into that category as well.

In the case of the current Jonathan Creek showings on 7TWO I do not recall the early episodes as having been screened in Australia recently on any FTA network. I stand to be corrected. I agree it is highly unlikely that at least some of these episodes have not been screened at some time over the past 14 years, most likely on first showings by the ABC, but in my opinion the "repeat" flag in such case would be of value to only a very limited number of IceTV subscribers who have at some time in the past seen some, or even all, of the episodes now screening.

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 01:22:41 PM »
The Jonathan Creek repeats on 7TWO are recent enough for me to have clearly remembered several of the main plot points in each of the episodes so far. For the last one shown, the glass of water and the clock, in particular.

Offline raymondjpg

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 03:25:30 PM »
I see that the status of next week's episode 'The Curious Tale of Mr Spearfish’ has now been changed to "Repeat".

Heads-up for anyone who has this series scheduled for first runs only, and wants to continue recording it.

Share via facebook Share via twitter