Author Topic: IceTV EPG Accuracy  (Read 1412 times)

Offline chris.thompson

• View Profile
IceTV EPG Accuracy
« on: August 01, 2011, 04:27:41 PM »
I have been using a Topfield 2460 for just over a month now and am in Melbourne. I have mapped my channels correctly and have no trouble receiving the EPG from IceTV.

However, I have to question the accuracy of the EPG content that is received into the PVR. All the shows in the TV Guide/EPG start right on the hour or half-hour more often than not. I have missed the end of many shows because the EPG fails to accurately reflect the correct start and finish times of a show as well. Masterchef Australia, the Amazing Race and Conan are shows that I PVR most frequently and often I have missed the ending because the EPG will have the how finishing at half-past but it actually finishes at, for example, 42 minutes past the hour. With Conan, I often had to skip through over 10 minutes of the show before hand to finally get to the start of Conan.

I was always under the impression that the IceTV EPG would be as accurate as the Free-to-Air EPG [which I have resorted to using for better accuracy], but regrettably it means I cannot series link, remote record, etc.

Have I got something set up wrong with IceTV? Or is this something you just have to live with should you like the benefit of having a series link, remote record facility?

Thanks

Offline grampus

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Re: IceTV EPG Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 05:00:25 PM »
I have been using a Topfield 2460 for just over a month now and am in Melbourne. I have mapped my channels correctly and have no trouble receiving the EPG from IceTV.

However, I have to question the accuracy of the EPG content that is received into the PVR. All the shows in the TV Guide/EPG start right on the hour or half-hour more often than not. I have missed the end of many shows because the EPG fails to accurately reflect the correct start and finish times of a show as well. Masterchef Australia, the Amazing Race and Conan are shows that I PVR most frequently and often I have missed the ending because the EPG will have the how finishing at half-past but it actually finishes at, for example, 42 minutes past the hour. With Conan, I often had to skip through over 10 minutes of the show before hand to finally get to the start of Conan.

I was always under the impression that the IceTV EPG would be as accurate as the Free-to-Air EPG [which I have resorted to using for better accuracy], but regrettably it means I cannot series link, remote record, etc.

Have I got something set up wrong with IceTV? Or is this something you just have to live with should you like the benefit of having a series link, remote record facility?

Thanks
At this time, ICE doesn't give you yhe accuracy you are after.
The channels give the sort of granularity in the FTA EPG in the last few days leading up to the airing time.
Elsewhere in this forum I recall there was a recent mention that ICE will be reworking their offering to have this functionality, but it will require a substantial rework, and may be quite a few months away.
In the meantime, you hopefully will have a pre and post padding capability on your PVR to take care of early start and late finish requirements.
BeyonWiz, T3

Offline chris.thompson

• View Profile
Re: IceTV EPG Accuracy
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »
Thanks for the insight on that one Grampus - much appreciated

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Common setup pitfalls using IceTV with Plex

Started by Daniel Hall at IceTV on Plex

0 Replies
Last post July 01, 2019, 05:33:55 PM