Author Topic: Britains Most Historically Out of Order Towns?  (Read 140 times)

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
Britains Most Historically Out of Order Towns?
« on: September 02, 2019, 10:44:23 AM »
The IceGuide is showing Britain's Most Historic Towns 'Plantagenet' SBS HD, 19:30, Tue 3 Sep as Season 2 Episode 1. I expect that that comes direct from SBS.

However, IMDb and Wikipedia agree that the "Plantagenet Canterbury" episode is the 5th episode (second-last) of the season, not the first.

Also, the episode naming in both sources is consistently "Period Town" for all episodes in both seasons, not just the period name.

IMDb and Wikipedia give the episode order as: Wartime Dover, Georgian Bristol, Edwardian Cardiff, Civil War Oxford, Plantagenet Canterbury, Stewart Stirling.

As far as the SBS online EPG goes, they will be airing Plantagenet Canterbury, Stewart Stirling and Civil War Oxford respectively on the 3rd, 10th & 17th Sep. Perhaps they're re-ordering them in historical order, earliest to latest?

There's not that IceTV can do much if SBS decides to air stuff out of order, but are they actually broadcasting out of order, or have they mixed up the EPG order?
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Offline Alison

• IceTV Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Britains Most Historically Out of Order Towns?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 12:19:33 PM »
Hi Prl,

Yes, you are correct, all the information right or wrong comes from SBS. Even when they have the wrong show title and given evidence to prove it they still refuse to change it! I can't change the order that things are aired, but I can update our data.
IceTV Guide Team

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 01:58:11 PM »
Thanks, Alison.

I wasn't suggesting that you change the IceTV episode information unless the actual broadcast order can be discovered. I have no idea whether SBS is actually showing the episodes out of the original broadcast order or whether they've mixed up their EPG info.

Offline raymondjpg

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 09:23:02 AM »
Thanks, Alison.

I wasn't suggesting that you change the IceTV episode information unless the actual broadcast order can be discovered. I have no idea whether SBS is actually showing the episodes out of the original broadcast order or whether they've mixed up their EPG info.

FWIW the OTA EPG for tonight's episode confirms that SBS's intention at least is to screen episode 5 of series 2 Plantagenet Canterbury viz "Professor Alice Roberts tells the story of Plantagenet England by studying the history of Canterbury, Britain's Most Plantagenet Town. "

SBS moves in mysterious ways, and one has to wonder if the minion charged with the responsibility of programming these offerings from the UK has any facility with the language, or is it just that, because it is English, there is some perverse undertaking to deliberately muck things up because the program is not Special enough for this Service.
Topfield TF7100HDPVRt, Beyonwiz DP-P2, Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200, Hauppauge WinTV-MiniStick 01240, Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2)

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 09:45:58 AM »
My guess is that they've decided to present the series in historical order. The ones in the SBS online EPG so far are, in SBS broadcast order: Plantagenet (12C-15C), Stewart (14C-18C) & Civil War (17C). The ones not yet in the SBS EPG are for later periods: Georgian (18C-19C), Edwardian (early 20C) & Wartime (mid-20C).

So there's nothing that so far contradicts the idea that the SBS might be broadcasting them earliest to latest period (which is almost, but not quite, the opposite of the original broadcast order). The first series was originally broadcast in that order (Roman, Viking, Norman, Tudor, Regency, Victorian).

But who knows. I just hope there aren't too many "as we referred to in an earlier program" references :D

Offline raymondjpg

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 10:40:53 AM »
My guess is that they've decided to present the series in historical order.

You may be right but I wouldn't afford SBS with credit for the reordering.

Series 1 ran in historical order, and it's possible that SBS received some intelligence from Channel 4 that some reordering might be appropriate. Just speculating.

But who knows. I just hope there aren't too many "as we referred to in an earlier program" references :D

My recollection from Series 1 (not so long ago) that there were no such references, and that each episode was self contained.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Britains got Talent

Started by grampus on IceTV EPG Content

3 Replies
Last post May 23, 2017, 10:44:29 AM
by grampus