Author Topic: Toppy 2400 connection via Opticomm network  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Eelsfan05

• View Profile
Toppy 2400 connection via Opticomm network
« on: February 21, 2016, 02:08:51 PM »
G'day everyone,

Until today we have connected our Toppy 2400 to IceTV via a wireless connection (IceTV dongle) to an ADSL modem. We recently moved into an Opticomm estate where we have fibre internet through Exetel. Our house is smart wired to an Opticomm hub. I thought I'd be able to plug the network cable into the wall and the back of the Toppy and I'd be good to do. Wrong. I dont know where to start or what settings to use. Can anyone help?

Offline Dave at IceTV

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • IceTV Knowledgebase Articles
Re: Toppy 2400 connection via Opticomm network
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 04:38:21 PM »
The clue is that you were using wireless and have now plugged in a network cable.

1. Remove the USB WiFi dongle if you haven't already (many PVRs get confused if both a network cable and a WiFi dongle are connected).
2. Reboot the Topfield.
3. Go to "Menu > Installation > Network Settings > IP Settings"
4. Change 'Wired / Wireless' to Wired.
5. Make sure that 'Connection Type' is set to DHCP.
6. Scroll down to Activate and click OK.
7. Wait until the dashes in the IP Address change to numbers.
8. Exit without changing anything else.

Now check that IceTV is still set to 'Enable' (in 'Menu > Settings > IceTV'). Within 2 minutes you should see the guide data appear (if it was blank before).
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Offline Eelsfan05

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 05:41:09 PM »
Thanks Dave. I did do that but the signal strength went straight to 100% with an IP allocated but it isn't working. There hasn't be any fetches recorded on IceTV's end. What I'm not sure of is every new device I plug into an outlet I have to to put the Excetel username and password in the first time. Clearly the Toppy won't allow me to do this, so I don't know how the Toppy is authenticating with the Internet before it reaches the IceTV servers.

Offline IanL-S

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • IceTV SKIPPA wiki
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 08:17:30 AM »
I have no knowledge of the particular configuration, but has long experience in setting up Ethernet connections for Toppys. The 100% strength indicates that the Toppy thinks it is connected to you home network. This does not mean that it can necessarily access the internet (essential to get IceTV EPG data and timers).

The user name requirement would be something in the Exetel firmware. Probably part of the security settings. I assume that the Exetel has a management console that you access via www browser. Check to see if there is an option to allow individual devices to connect without the user name and password - you will probably have to enter the Toppys IP address and possibly the MAC address of the Ethernet port (this is on the back of the Toppy and can also be found by Menue; Information; System Status). You will also need to do the same thing for other devices such as SmartTVs. The IP address of connected devices should also be somewhere in the management console. It is possible that there is something unusual about the internet gateway IP address that is needed in the Toppy settings (it is usually the IP address of the router). The Toppy does not give an error message if this IP address is incorrect.

Ian

Ian
IceTV: 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRt + SKIPPA + T2 + U4
No IceTV: a few Toppys
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and Topfield Aus Forum for Toppy help

Offline Eelsfan05

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 08:38:51 AM »
Thanks Ian. That sounds way outside my level of knowledge... I know that they have a web portal though. I should add I was wrong in my previous post NO I.P. is being detected.

Offline Dave at IceTV

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 01:05:48 PM »
The toppy not getting an IP address is the problem.

Do you have a router?

Your router may have DHCP disabled (i.e. it's not assigning iP addresses) or it may be set to only provide IP addresses to a limited number of devices and your computers, phone, tablets etc may exceed that number of addresses once the toppy is added. It's easy enough to increase the number of iP addresses available - unless you have a 3G or 4G WiFi router/modem with a fixed number of IP addresses.

Your ISP's login details gets set in your router (either via the router's admin webpage or via a computer program). Then everything that connects to the router can access the Internet through the router without needing to enter any ISP login details.

You only need to enter a password on a network device if you have a home wireless network setup. Ethernet is just plug-n-play.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 01:13:06 PM by Dave at IceTV »

Offline Eelsfan05

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 09:18:32 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. This turned out to be a user/wanna be LAN   installer error. Got someone who had a clue. Gigabit switch and router installed in the right sequence and bobs your uncle. IceTV is back in business.

Now, who do I speak to about missing the end of the last episode of XFiles. I have a buffer set up at the end and still missed out.

Offline IanL-S

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • IceTV SKIPPA wiki
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 07:22:05 AM »
The reality program earlier in the evening went over time by about 20 minutes (typical of the false information given by the networks about the running time of such programs). All I can suggest is to up the post padding; with my Toppys I use the max of 30 minutes.

Ian

Offline Dave at IceTV

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 03:25:41 PM »
Now, who do I speak to about missing the end of the last episode of XFiles. I have a buffer set up at the end and still missed out.

Spoiler Alert...

This week's episode of the X-Files ended very abruptly without any credits etc. It ended with the camera zooming in on Scully's right eye as she looked up at the light beam coming down from the spaceship. If you saw up to that point then you didn't miss anything as this is how the episode ended for USA viewers as well.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Toppy 2460 rebooting in Brisbane

Started by 2353 on Topfield

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2017, 06:09:02 AM
by IanL-S
xx
Toppy 2400 & IceTv guide problem

Started by GeorgeC on Topfield

6 Replies
Last post November 05, 2016, 02:04:09 PM