Author Topic: Schedule times vs Broadcast time  (Read 3352 times)

Offline manzel

• View Profile
Schedule times vs Broadcast time
« on: May 09, 2008, 01:40:24 AM »
Greetings all.  Before I pop out and buy a compatible PVR and subscribe to Ice, I do have one burning question.  As many of you would be aware, it is a favourite trick of TV networks (commercial ones mostly) to broadcast a programme later than it's scheduled broadcasting time, so much so that a program can start 15 minutes later than it was scheduled...naturally the finishing time ends up being late as well.  Does the Ice system take this into account when programming the PVR or is there a danger that not only would I be recording the last ten minutes of a previous programme but worse still cutting off the last ten minutes of the wanted one?  You know...just as the detective was about to name the murderer...........!!!

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Schedule times vs Broadcast time
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 08:59:06 AM »
Greetings all.  Before I pop out and buy a compatible PVR and subscribe to Ice, I do have one burning question.  As many of you would be aware, it is a favourite trick of TV networks (commercial ones mostly) to broadcast a programme later than it's scheduled broadcasting time, so much so that a program can start 15 minutes later than it was scheduled...naturally the finishing time ends up being late as well.  Does the Ice system take this into account when programming the PVR or is there a danger that not only would I be recording the last ten minutes of a previous programme but worse still cutting off the last ten minutes of the wanted one?  You know...just as the detective was about to name the murderer...........!!!
This is usually handled by either the PVR/Media Centre or IceTV adding "padding" of some sort to the recording. I have my Beyonwiz set to automatically start 2 minutes before the scheduled start time and stop recording 15 minutes after the scheduled finish. That usually catches most late-running programs. On most PVR/Media Centres that can do this the padding is configurable, but is applied equally to all recordings.

Its main problems are that there's no way to be certain that any fixed amount of padding will be enough, and how to handle padding when the post-padding of a program overlaps with the pre-padding of another. This most often happens for consecutive programs on the same service. One workaround is to record one of the two programs in SD and the other in HD if one of the programs is an SD/HD simulcast. No amount of finessing the padding and selecting hard or soft padding, though, can guarantee that two consecutive timers will place all of the first program in the first recording, and all of the second program in the second recording unless two tuners are available to handle the transition.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Recordings being scheduled that shouldn't be...

Started by prl on IceTV EPG Content

3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2018, 10:09:28 AM
by prl
question
U4 schedule change produces multiple timers for same program

Started by IanL-S on Beyonwiz

10 Replies
Last post March 18, 2018, 07:26:50 PM
by grumpy_geoff
question
ICETV scheduled recordings not showing in T4 EPG.

Started by BitBucket on Beyonwiz

5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2018, 10:34:33 AM
by grumpy_geoff
xx
What the HECK is going on? No TV guide or schedule at ALL!!

Started by Greg_w_h on IceTV EPG Content

2 Replies
Last post March 11, 2017, 08:53:22 AM
by MD