Author Topic: IceTV Guide Accuracy  (Read 3619 times)

Offline izogi

• View Profile
IceTV Guide Accuracy
« on: July 07, 2011, 06:32:10 PM »
Hello.

I spotted the thread at http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/general-discussions/1/where-does-guide-data-come-from/2254/, but it's quite old.  I'm just curious about the IceTV Guide.  Do some networks specifically push shows around by small increments just to put people off services like IceTV?

More to the point, is there any way in IceTV to fine-tune the start and end times when recording a series?

I've noticed that on the digital broadcasted EPG, quite a few networks have shows running in timeslots like 8.34pm - 9.37pm or 6.02pm - 6.38pm and so on. The Ice Guide, on the other hand, tends to show them starting and finishing much closer to the hour/half-hour slots (usually on them).

It's become quite annoying since I started trialing IceTV with a BeyonWiz DP-Lite, because the Ice Guide frequently starts shows recording up to 5 or 6 minutes too early and then misses several minutes at the end.  I'm reluctant to increase the PVR's padding very much, because with only 2 tuners it interferes with the occasional night when several shows might start and finish closely on different channels.  Tonight's an example when I *know* from the last couple of weeks experience and from the network's broadcasted guide that there's no overlap, but the Ice guide's not correct.  Therefore my PVR will decide to cut something off before it's finished (or started) in order to prioritise recording something irrelevant on another channel.  It kind'a takes the usefulness out of IceTV from what I can tell. :(

Right now I'm bordering disabling the Ice Guide altogether and not buying a subscription, which is a shame because I like the idea of being able to just record series' with a click.

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: IceTV Guide Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 06:45:36 PM »
...  Do some networks specifically push shows around by small increments just to put people off services like IceTV?
See Wikipedia's entry on Broadcast programming: Scheduling, especially the section on Bridging. Also the section on Hotswitching. These techniques predate PVRs and were designed with intentions of audience retention on broadcast TV, though I'm sure that the fact that they have the side-effect of making recordings more difficult doesn't bother the networks in the slightest.

I'm sure you'll recognise other techniques used by Australian broadcasters listed there, too.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Offline tonymy01

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 05:02:31 PM »
If you disable 'padding priority' in the wiz, but set padding minutes, it won't interfere with any scheduling you have, the standard (timer created) timeslots will always be recorded and you only lose your padding in the event of a clash.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

Offline grampus

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 06:04:52 PM »
I've noticed that on the digital broadcasted EPG, quite a few networks have shows running in timeslots like 8.34pm - 9.37pm or 6.02pm - 6.38pm and so on. The Ice Guide, on the other hand, tends to show them starting and finishing much closer to the hour/half-hour slots (usually on them).
I think we all share the pain.
It seems that the FTA guide presented by the broadcasters may only be up to date with the starting time granularity that we all want,  is generally only set a few days in front of the b'cast time.  Hmm, that was long winded.
It means that you can't set up a week or so ahead, and be reliant that that show time is valid on the day.
Using Ice with pre and post padding, no priority is the way I've chosen to go.  I haven't been disappointed.
If shows are moved, removed, generally Ice can handle it, barring late minute (on the day) changes.
And of course the series option is  a real bonus. 
BeyonWiz, T3

Offline raymondjpg

• IceTV Beta
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 06:17:42 PM »
It seems that the FTA guide presented by the broadcasters may only be up to date with the starting time granularity that we all want,  is generally only set a few days in front of the b'cast time.
More like on the day of broadcast last time I looked closely, but they could adjust earlier than that I guess.
Topfield TF7100HDPVRt, Beyonwiz DP-P2, Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200, Hauppauge WinTV-MiniStick 01240, Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2)

Offline izogi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 06:19:49 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.  No easy fix then, I guess, and just very frustrating.

It seems that the FTA guide presented by the broadcasters may only be up to date with the starting time granularity that we all want,  is generally only set a few days in front of the b'cast time.

You're telling me.  A few days ago I set a timer for something on Nine, direct from the broadcast EPG.  I checked it yesterday afternoon and they'd shifted it by a few minutes on the broadcast EPG.  Three hours later, maybe a couple of hours before it started, they'd shifted it again!

Even if Ice were keeping up with that, I'm not sure my DP-Lite syncs frequently enough, at least with the latest firmware.  :(

Offline MD

• Administrator
  • TV TV Australia MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 06:43:18 PM »
Stick with us - the tech guys are working on new software that will give correct start times up to your final login from the PVR/media centre.  But it's a massive software update and, mixed with other projects, is about 6 months away.  But it will be the nearest anyone will get to spot-on recording.

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 05:58:27 PM »
Stick with us - the tech guys are working on new software that will give correct start times up to your final login from the PVR/media centre.  But it's a massive software update and, mixed with other projects, is about 6 months away.  But it will be the nearest anyone will get to spot-on recording.
Could IceTV staff (I presume Chairman is one) get some sort of distinctive tag in the info block next to their posts? It'd be nice to know who's who.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Common setup pitfalls using IceTV with Plex

Started by Daniel Hall at IceTV on Plex

0 Replies
Last post July 01, 2019, 05:33:55 PM
by Daniel Hall at IceTV
xx
Setup IceTV on Plex server on Qnap TS 251+ with HDHomerun Connect

Started by Iceplex on Plex

25 Replies
Last post July 18, 2019, 11:01:01 PM