Author Topic: IceTV enabled TVs  (Read 4732 times)

Offline dclayw

• View Profile
IceTV enabled TVs
« on: December 06, 2006, 11:34:50 PM »
Some TVs now have 7 day EPG capability built in, although most of them don't allow you to actually record from the TV's inbuilt tuner. Might sound like a silly question but I was wondering what would need to be done to load the TVs EIT with the Ice files.

The reason I ask is that I am thinking of getting a new TV with inbuilt HD tuner, this TV has 7 day EPG capability. I currently have the Topfield PVR with twin SD tuners. Ofcourse I will be keeping my toppy, but I would like to be able to watch TV through the inbuilt HD tuner and have the Ice Guide come up without having to switch back to the toppy. I will not be able to record from this inbuilt tuner, but it would be nice to be able to see the guide without having to change the TVs input back to the toppy.

Offline Marc

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: IceTV enabled TVs
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 12:45:42 AM »
The TV needs more than the ability to show a 7 day EPG, it'll also need to be able to connect to the internet to update the EPG or be updatable via a USB drive or similar. We're all for supporting as many devices as possible, but getting the data in is a team effort. We'd need to get the manufacturer behind it as well as it's likely that they'd need to update their firmware to support IceTV.

So... start nagging them and asking if they want to work with us! The more emails and phone calls they receive, the easier it is for us to add support :)

Btw, what model is it?

goldcoastguy

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 07:39:26 AM »
Unless the TV is planning to rely on the EPG that the broadcasters transmit. For most (almost all) this is only Now/Next.

The advertising is correct in that it has "7 day EPG Capability" (as does a non-ICE Toppy). I'm sure you'll find though that you'll get 6.8 days of nothing in your guide.

Evan :->

Offline dclayw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 09:22:39 AM »
The TV needs more than the ability to show a 7 day EPG, it'll also need to be able to connect to the internet to update the EPG or be updatable via a USB drive or similar. We're all for supporting as many devices as possible, but getting the data in is a team effort. We'd need to get the manufacturer behind it as well as it's likely that they'd need to update their firmware to support IceTV.

So... start nagging them and asking if they want to work with us! The more emails and phone calls they receive, the easier it is for us to add support :)

Btw, what model is it?

The EPG capability of this TV is not really the reason I am thinking of buying it. I saw that it had 7 day EPG capability (not sure if many TVs have) so thought I'd ask the question. The TV is a Panasonic Viera TX-32LXD600A LCD. It has no network connectivity but has an inbuilt SD card slot. So any updating on this TV (if it is in any way possible) would need to be somewhat of a manual process. I do understand some of the complexities that may be involved. I guess what would be required is some process to load the files from the SD card into the TVs EPG table. Not quite sure what that would involve atm. I'll start nagging someone at Panasonic, maybe it will turn out not to be too difficult.

By the way the SD card slot is for viewing images/photos etc on the TV and it can also record from the TV's tuner.

Offline Marc

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 09:38:45 AM »
Goldcoastguy is right... most of these EPG aware devices get their info from the digital broadcast stream and will only show now/next because of it.

I'm sure it's technically possible to get IceGuide in there, it'd just be a bit of work for both parties. We're here if Panasonic want to call though :)

Offline dclayw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 08:56:27 AM »
Oh well, this is the response I got back from Panasonic:

"The requested process in not possible. The Digital Tuner in the Panasonic TX-32LXD600A is not able to be modified to support data supplied by a third Party Product. The 7 day EPG is supplied with the required data directly from the broadcasters, At present they are only supplying current and next program information. Details from a "IceTV" system is not able to be imported in the TX-32LXD600A's Digital Tuner."

I did push this one step past the above and asked to speak directly to their technical people, but got the same response as above back.

Might try again in a few months.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Common setup pitfalls using IceTV with Plex

Started by Daniel Hall at IceTV on Plex

0 Replies
Last post July 01, 2019, 05:33:55 PM
by Daniel Hall at IceTV
xx
Setup IceTV on Plex server on Qnap TS 251+ with HDHomerun Connect

Started by Iceplex on Plex

24 Replies