Author Topic: Guide display for multiple devices  (Read 3089 times)

Offline mikeathome

• View Profile
Guide display for multiple devices
« on: April 11, 2012, 06:22:37 PM »
Currently the interactive guide, My Shows and My Week all display only the reservations or shows relevant to the device currently selected by the user. It would be nice for us oldies if there could be a way to show the reservations etc for all devices on the one screen, (as well as the current arrangement for those who prefer that.)

Offline JPP

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Guide display for multiple devices
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 06:46:23 PM »
Yes, it's already done on the iPad/iPhone  App, so I don't understand why it hasn't been done for the PC version.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 06:52:18 PM »
I've made the same suggestion before (and I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I can't find any other discussion of it).

I'd also like to see some sort of mechanism to allow the management of recordings across multiple PVRs, as suggested by mtb.

But anyway,
+1
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Offline mikeathome

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 09:41:49 PM »
It would certainly be a great feature if ICE was able to manage multiple devices as if they were a singe device with n tuners - which I think is one of the things suggested by mtb. There's a lot of useful discussion in that thread but it does not seem to have attracted any interest from ICE. Perhaps they are reluctant to reach out too far before they have got their current arrangements working completely.

Offline csutak40

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 04:16:53 PM »
I've made the same suggestion before (and I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I can't find any other discussion of it).

I'd also like to see some sort of mechanism to allow the management of recordings across multiple PVRs, as suggested by mtb.

But anyway,
+1
And +1 from me too

Re-reading mtb's thread, I don't understand why we couldn't have something like that, something to warn us of clashes.

I am still using Toppy 5K with TED/s and one of the reasons I am still using 5K is because I love TED/s so much.  I honestly can't understand why IceTV couldn't provide something similar.

One of the things it will do every day is provide a report of what's going to be recorded and what clashes.  I can set up my priorities,  choosing which show has the highest priority, etc.  If, looking at the report, I don't like the result, I can change it either by changing the priorities in TED/s and re-running it or just change it manually.

Here is an example of a clash report from TED/s

.(+) ***   [T] Seven..... (OT) Th 2012-04-12  19:30 20:45   Better Homes And Gardens
 .(+) **    [T] SBS....... (OT) Th 2012-04-12  20:00 20:32   How To Cook Like Heston
 .(-) *       [P] ABC1...... (OT) Th 2012-04-12  20:30 21:32   Australia On Trial
 .(+) **    [T] SBS....... (OT) Th 2012-04-12  20:30 21:32   Two Greedy Italians
 .(+) ***   [T] Seven..... (OT) Th 2012-04-12  20:30 21:50   Grey's Anatomy

Obviously, TED/s only works on the one Toppy, but it WILL merge consecutive shows, just placing padding at the beginning of the first and the end of the last, leaving the other tuner free to record something else.  TED/s was selling itself as "TIVO like", before TIVO became available in Australia.  I haven't used the TIVO, but I understand that it works the same as the American version (except for the commercial skipping bit) so I really do think that IceTV should see TIVO as its competitor and offer at least the same if not better software
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 05:18:27 PM by csutak40 »
Cheers,
Judy
Windows 7 Media Center; Last Update Feb 20 2006; Beyonwiz T4, T2

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 04:57:54 PM »
As I understand it, IceTV's recording allocation algorithm is simply: send timer requests for the PVR; get timer status from PVR; flag recordings as queued or with an error.

The upside of this is that IceTV doesn't have to know anything about what the recording capabilities of the PVR are (e.g. it could accommodate the introduction of the Topfield Quad Recording feature without changing the IceTV code at all). The downside is that you only get any feedback about clashes when the timer update takes place (and you refresh the IceTV My Week page or TV Guide page). The timer update can be up to 15 minutes (under current update practice for IceTV on Beyonwiz, anyway) from when you do the update even if the PVR is running - longer if the PVR is off.

This process can't be sped up easily, because IceTV's protocol is "pull" from the PVR.

The only way I can see of IceTV giving timely feedback about clashes would be for it to have accurate models of the recording timer allocation limits of all the PVRs that it serves. I'd also find it useful for IceTV to warn me if there are any clashes between the padding of recordings as well. This further complicates the modelling of the PVRs' timer allocation.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Changing Guide Region

Started by Trial_Master on General Discussions

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2019, 06:40:28 PM
by Trial_Master
xx
Account guide settings

Started by simoncasey on IceTV EPG Content

24 Replies
Last post June 19, 2019, 05:35:32 PM