Author Topic: Channel ONE (minus ONE !) - pretend non HD (and SD) again  (Read 10679 times)

Offline chopper

• View Profile
Channel ONE (minus ONE !) - pretend non HD (and SD) again
« on: February 22, 2009, 11:06:46 AM »
AArgh  >:( :o ???  St*p*d  channel 10 and their channel "minus ONE" and their pretending to broadcast HD sport.

Watched their AFL last night and their pretend HD content was only a pathetic average bitrate of less than 12.7 Mbps. 
Pithweak, Channel minus one, p*thweak, and YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER.  >:(
And don't try to b*llsh*t us with cr*p about resolutions means it's great HD, either. 
Broadcast HD with a decent (read: max)  HD bitrate - ESPECIALLY FOR SPORT.   GET IT ???
Hope your viewers can all expect proper non-pretend HD footy broadcasting from you into the future. 

And whilst on this and to re-inforce how pathetic channel minus One was, SD ONE broadcast it in pretend SD as well !!!!
You guessed it, they broadcast fast action SPORT in a pretend SD pathetic average bitrate of less than 3.8 Mpbs.
St*pid  channel 10. >:( :o
What were you thinking ??? Blowing off your viewers with broadcasting action SPORT at such sh*t bitrates. ??? Idiots.

Channel 10, in case you still don't get it, people don't like seeing crummy blocky fast sport action.  It p*sses people off, like me. >:(

DO IT BETTER CHANNEL 10.  DO IT RIGHT.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 12:02:20 PM by chopper »

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Channel ONE (minus ONE !) - false pretend non HD (and SD) again
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:48:16 AM »
At the risk of sounding like I'm defending Ten, they probably can't do much better than this. They're trying to squeeze two SD services and one HD service into 23Mb/s for Freeview. 6 + 6 + 14Mb/s just doesn't fit. When the other commercial channels do the same thing, they'll be faced with making the same kinds of compromises.

"Freeview" is a bad idea on just so many levels.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Or that Scots saying about polishing. Unless, I suppose, it's a coprolite.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 11:59:33 AM by prl »
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Offline chopper

• View Profile
Re: Channel ONE (minus ONE !) - false pretend non HD (and SD) again
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 12:02:01 PM »
they probably can't do much better than this.
They're trying to squeeze two SD services and one HD service into 23Mb/s for Freeview. 6 + 6 + 14Mb/s just doesn't fit. When the other commercial channels do the same thing, they'll be faced with making the same kinds of compromises.

"Freeview" is a bad idea on just so many levels.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Or that Scots saying about polishing.
Ah thanks for this, I didn't know it.    (what is that Scot's saying ?)

So, they squeeze more broadcasting into the same bandwidth - no wonder they screw our viewing experience down and don't tell both sides of the story  :-\  Their Spin is it's better, but for who ?  Only them of course, that's all that matters to them !

So, in a nutshell FreeView is their idea of squeezing more revenue at the expense of all their viewers' viewing experiences.  Great.  Yes, So much for "Freeview"... what shall we call it ?  Cr*pview  or FreeRevenue ?

Funny that isn't mentioned in the media. Funny.  Not.

Come to think of it, it's probably a government idea  8) :-*
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 12:07:27 PM by chopper »

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Channel ONE (minus ONE !) - pretend non HD (and SD) again
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 12:06:11 PM »
One of my other criticisms of Freeview is that I don't think that it will in fact generate much new revenue. How would it? But on the other hand, they need to fund new content. That will, I think lead to a fall in another dimension of quality.

One way round part of the problem, I suppose, is what Ten is doing by pretending that their normal SD service + HD sport, plus a simulcast of HD sport in SD is three channels.

Offline chopper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 12:11:18 PM »
One of my other criticisms of Freeview is that I don't think that it will in fact generate much new revenue. How would it? But on the other hand, they need to fund new content. That will, I think lead to a fall in another dimension of quality.

I did wonder about that, but thought they must have crunched their numbers and/or been more afraid of directions with payTV.

Reducing quality to their consumers is a bad idea, long term, whichever way you look at it, as it opens up a weakness to be exploited.

I would suppose the clueless government(s) wouldn't have thought of it, or if they did then didn't care about their cashcows (us taxpayers).

I guess the bottom line is: get used to "low quality" sports on TV in Aus (by comparison to what you could have had).

HD ... hah !  "semi-HD" or "near HD quality"  is what they should be advertising from here on in.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 12:20:01 PM by chopper »

Offline tonymy01

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 01:16:14 PM »
Chopper, where are you located?   On the dtvforums, a few people have commented that yesterdays game was ok.   They said not as good as when it was 1920x1080 16megabit/s, but probably a smidgin better than when Ten used to be 1440x1080 12megabit/s (at least they are now 13megabit/s 1440x1080 in Sydney at least).
So, while it isn't as nice as what they used to give us, I don't think it deserves a huge post full of filter avoiding expletives on an ICE forum.
The one thing that does deserve it however is both Seven and Ten not showing any of the shows I watch in HD any more (Lost, 24, Dexter...although it was HD last week, but not for long, Battlestar G, Eureka, House..soon, NCIS soon, Supernatural.. which looks superb in HD...grrr, and I am sure the list goes on!  FU Ten.)

OneSD was never about getting anything decent.  It was about letting you subtly know that, if you want the same thing but in better quality, to go HD.   It also gives poeple with SD only setups something to look forward to (i.e the upgrade to HD) but at least gives them something to watch now.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 01:19:13 PM by tonymy01 »
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

Offline chopper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 02:55:02 PM »
Chopper, where are you located? 
Adelaide, matey.

On the dtvforums, a few people have commented that yesterdays game was ok.   They said not as good as when it was 1920x1080 16megabit/s, but probably a smidgin better than when Ten used to be 1440x1080 12megabit/s (at least they are now 13megabit/s 1440x1080 in Sydney at least).
Full 1920xx1080i @ < 12.7 Mbps here ... better than their so-called SD (more on that below) but not what it could have been.  Sydney less resolution @ similar bitrate = less potential for blocking.

So, while it isn't as nice as what they used to give us, I don't think it deserves a huge post full of filter avoiding expletives on an ICE forum.
Your prerogative to have a valid opinion. I do think they deserve a rocket, which is why I posted it.

The one thing that does deserve it however is both Seven and Ten not showing any of the shows I watch in HD any more (Lost, 24, Dexter...although it was HD last week, but not for long, Battlestar G, Eureka, House..soon, NCIS soon, Supernatural.. which looks superb in HD...grrr, and I am sure the list goes on!  FU Ten.)
Spot on matey !

OneSD was never about getting anything decent.  It was about letting you subtly know that, if you want the same thing but in better quality, to go HD.   It also gives poeple with SD only setups something to look forward to (i.e the upgrade to HD) but at least gives them something to watch now.
You got that right in spades.

I timshifted and watched the so-called SD ONE (may as well rename it to minus one sub-SD) AFL and it was almost the worst ever sports broadcast.  I reckon that Analogue would have been more watchable !  At mid-range zoomed action, players had lots and lots horrible blocks and "ringing" around their outlines whilst other bits were just fuzzy.  Yukkity yuk sp*w what a terrible serve from channel ten to their viewers.  No it's not my aerial (new, good, quad shielded etc) and no, not the equipment (direct TS stream capture) plus new Sony Bravia TV.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 02:58:39 PM by chopper »

Offline chopper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 08:50:01 PM »
Just had my brother and his family around for dinner.  Without prompting he said it was the worst digital picture he had ever seen (the SD version).

Note that, Channel minus 1 - "the worst digital picture he had ever seen". 

Unless you can do better, your new logo should be along the lines "taking sports broadcasts to new lows".

Offline Stanna

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 06:21:36 PM »
Thought I'd just throw in my 2c worth and say that I've been watching the Ten HD broadcasts of NFL and now NBA and the quality seems to (on my HD projector setup) be way above what Ten (and Seven) broadcast in HD for the AFL.

Offline imugli

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 11:48:55 AM »
Have to agree. Whilst not "FULL HD" it still beats the pants off SD...

Offline chopper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 12:53:15 PM »
Have to agree. Whilst not "FULL HD" it still beats the pants off SD...
Wonder if it beats the pants off non-bitrate-crippled SD though.

Offline Stunkrat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 12:52:19 PM »
Just had my brother and his family around for dinner.  Without prompting he said it was the worst digital picture he had ever seen (the SD version).

Note that, Channel minus 1 - "the worst digital picture he had ever seen". 

Unless you can do better, your new logo should be along the lines "taking sports broadcasts to new lows".

While the downscale of -1HD is truly appalling, I think it may be just slightly better than the women's soccer on the ABC. And the WNBL, for that matter. They look like they were recorded on a mobile phone.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 10:55:48 PM by Stunkrat »

Offline tonymy01

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 01:29:02 PM »
Or the World Superbikes on SBS last weekend, which was letterboxed&pillarboxed!!!  So it was watching a postage stamp on 16:9, I would have hate to have seen it double letterboxed on a 4:3 TV.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
New SBS channel

Started by Melb137 on IceTV EPG Content

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2019, 01:04:41 PM
by prl
xx
Manual Channel Tuning Problems

Started by Wills13 on General Discussions

0 Replies
Last post January 23, 2019, 10:37:23 PM