Author Topic: Can I download the (Asus) Icebox2 firmware?  (Read 6595 times)

Offline dave_nq

• View Profile
Can I download the (Asus) Icebox2 firmware?
« on: May 05, 2008, 03:32:54 PM »
I want to temporarily use my Asus WL-500G Deluxe wireless router as a wireless access point (by installing the latest Asus firmware), but then be able to restore the Icebox functionality.

Has anyone done this or know if it can be done please?

Thanks,

David

Offline Daniel Hall at IceTV

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
    • IceTV
Re: Can I download the (Asus) Icebox2 firmware?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 04:37:14 PM »
You can definitely download the firmware for the IceBox2, especially if you have a working IceBox2, on the Information page the latest firmware version number will be a link to be able to download the latest firmware file.

The only downside is that while the IceBox2 interface will allow the use of an original Asus firmware, the Asus firmware will not accept the IceBox2 firmware. To convert an Asus router back to being an IceBox2 you would need to put the Asus in firmware recovery mode and send the firmware file across to it over the network from a linux PC.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Offline machunter46

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 11:00:47 AM »
My ICEBOX'2 usb port has died and I am hopefully getting a replacement ASUS box via ebay .  Is the procedure detailed here essentialy what you are referring to (substituting the ICEBOX2 firmware for the referenced dd-wrt )  http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Tftp_flash?

Offline MeerkatGP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 01:21:03 PM »
Wanted to drop a line to everyone looking for help on re-flashing a "broken" IceBox2.

I cannot thank the DD-WRT team enough for the great guide they provide at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Tftp_flash?

This is not a paid plug (I have indeed made a very small donation to them!) but a big public thank you for a very straight forward, easy to follow, step by step guide to undo the (almost) undo able... :o

What happened was I had flashed the IceBox2 F/W to a recent Asus one: I wanted to use it as a wireless AP and, not having done any research beforehand, it was only once I completed the flash I realised the USB connectivity to my trusty Topfield 5000PVRt was GONE!!!

Add a WinXP x64 HTPC (no 64bit USB drivers available for the Toppy, so no USB direct connection possible) and the daunting task of setting up FTP and the like, being able to return the Asus WL-500gP (Premium) to it's original Ice F/W was the best and easiest thing ever!

Once again, I can now relax knowing TEDS+, the IceBox2 and the Toppy will be doing the usual daily EPG fetch, favourites check, timers setting and uploading to the PVRt.  The wife is now stepping down from DEFCON1 (phiuuu!)

Thanks again to DD-WRT for the help provided. God bless!

PS Forgot to also thank Jill Messer, a very kind user from the Topfield Forums, who promptly emailed me the original Ice F/W for the IceBox2.  I had tried to contact both IceTV and PeterU with no luck, so Jill was a real life saver providing the correct original firmware.

One little tech note: the F/W Jill sent me was *.trx whilst the DD-WRT guide (at the very end of the process) requires a .bin image file to work.  All you have to do is rename the .trx into .bin or it will not be able to use the F/W image.

And, of course, I will be more than happy to email the Ice original F/W image to anyone in need!! ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 01:33:42 PM by MeerkatGP »

Offline brianh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 06:44:45 PM »
Extra thanks for the above info - my mother's WL-500gPremium (V1) recently became unresponsive, even after a Hard Reset using 30/30/30 as per the DD-WRT pages I couldn't access it.

IP Scanner couldn't detect it and there was no way I could access the web config. page.  I followed the above directions, using Windows XP.  I followed the guide to the letter.

However, the ASUS Firmware Recovery utility couldn't find the box at the default IP of 192.168.1.1, it only worked when I used a command prompt and entered the information provided.

As above, I fetched from teh web then then successfully uploaded the clear_nvram.trx  and recover.trx files specified, then renamed the icebox2.trx to icebox2.bin for the final step.   All good, unit is now working a treat!!

Cheers and MANY thanks,
Brian

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Prime 7HD (Canberra) - TBA

Started by vader1111 on IceTV EPG Content

1 Replies
Last post February 01, 2019, 12:53:30 PM
by Tiphanee
xx
The Americans

Started by prl on General Discussions