Author Topic: To Guru and Tony B - re EPG Programming Question  (Read 2831 times)

Offline afs

• View Profile
To Guru and Tony B - re EPG Programming Question
« on: January 23, 2009, 01:30:05 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

I understand about padding on Beyonwiz and use it.

The real problem is that with commercial channels it is not uncommon to have the program run anything up to 30 minutes beyond the scheduled time.   eg Channel 7 Air Crash Investigation.

BUT I do NOT want to put a 30 minute pad into my Beyonwiz as it severly restricts my two tuners.

Therefore when I program on the Beyonwiz unit I simply add 30 minutes to the run time, to which Beyonwiz also add the additional pad. This covers me for the excess run time.

But now that I use Ice TV, when I look at the timer later, IceTV has over written my setting. This is what I would like to avoid.

In other words, if I do someting manually on my Beyonwiz EPG, I do not want IceTV to override it. Any Clues?

Thanks for any help in anticipation.

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: To Guru and Tony B - re EPG Programming Question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 01:51:28 PM »
But now that I use Ice TV, when I look at the timer later, IceTV has over written my setting. This is what I would like to avoid.

In other words, if I do someting manually on my Beyonwiz EPG, I do not want IceTV to override it. Any Clues?

Thanks for any help in anticipation.
Basically, you can either set timers manually (say a weekly repeating timer), and they will show up in IceTV, but not be overridden (I have one of these to catch John Clarke and Brian Dawe's segment on the 7:30 report each Thursday), or you can set a Series Recording timer from IceTV and use padding to take account of the fact that TV scheduling in commercial TV is cynically manipulated so that shows pretty much never start on time during prime time. I think that you can change an individual episode timer and it won't be over-ridden, but each episode is recorded by a separate Once timer, so you would have to make the change individually for each episode, which is hardly ideal.

It's unusual for a show to start 30min later than scheduled, though. But it does happen: the final episode of the Big Brother 2007 season ran 55 minutes over. That's unusual, but the longest time overruns seem to be on "reality" TV shows and sport.

However, it's been a while since my 15min post padding didn't capture the end of a show, where the show ran at all. I did have some recordings fail completely because the show didn't run at all, and I got 47 (or 77) minutes (with padding) of the bloody golf!

You didn't really need to start a new topic for this, either.

Think of a topic as a continuing conversation, so long as you're talking about basically the same thing, keep using that topic.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Offline itstonyb

• View Profile
Re: To Guru and Tony B - re EPG Programming Question
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 01:52:24 PM »
The only time I have seen something overrun by 30 minutes or more is when a sporting fixture etc is being covered beforehand. I only pad my wiz by 20 minutes and have to date not found a problem (which usually only exists with CH 7, 9 and 10 in any case). Remember also that you can edit the file once recorded and delete the extra time on the end of it that is not required, thus regaining HDD space.
The only other way would be to manually set the timer in the WIZ for that particular program that you think may overrun by 30 minutes. You cant "pad" in ice TV.

Maybe something ICE should look at? Offer a "pad" option for each recording?

Cheers
Tony B   

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Graham Norton Show Friday 28th June

Started by simoncasey on IceTV EPG Content

0 Replies
Last post June 29, 2019, 12:05:53 PM
by simoncasey
xx
Motor Sport: Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour

Started by aeb001 on IceTV EPG Content