Author Topic: IceTV timer descriptions not updating on Beyonwiz T series  (Read 1537 times)

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
IceTV timer descriptions not updating on Beyonwiz T series
« on: April 07, 2017, 10:07:33 AM »
If IceTV sends a timer a that is further in the future than the current end of the EPG data, the timer on the Beyonwiz will not have a description (usually the episode name) for the show, because that information is extracted from the EPG. This is usually seen on timers for ABC and SBS.

If the PVR is never rebooted (or has a GUI restart), that description won't get updated. Even if it is rebooted or a GUI restart is done, the descriptions are updated from the EPG when the timer list is read from file, but this happens before the EPG is updated, so some of the descriptions that could be filled aren't. A second reboot/EPG restart should fix up the remaining descriptions that can be fixed, since now the cached EPG will be up to date.

This issue is most visible on Beyonwiz T series PVRs that are normally in standby, rather than shut down, when not in use.

I am currently testing code that should fix this problem, by scanning each EPG update sent from the IceTV server and using the new information in the EPG update to update any timers with missing or outdated description information. Initial testing shows that this will have a minimal impact on the speed of an IceTV update.

If you want to look at the detailed discussion of the fix (including indicative timings of the potential performance "hit" from the fix), see Long Range IceTV Timers on the Beyonwiz forum.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Offline Daniel Hall at IceTV

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
    • IceTV
Re: IceTV timer descriptions not updating on Beyonwiz T series
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 11:39:36 AM »
Hmm, this one must have slipped through, for normal usage only timers in the next 7 days are sent down (same as the EPG), but for incremental updates the limit wasn't there... this has been fixed...
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 03:46:25 PM »
Hmm, this one must have slipped through, for normal usage only timers in the next 7 days are sent down (same as the EPG), but for incremental updates the limit wasn't there... this has been fixed...
It's an issue that had been discussed and explained a number of times over on the IceTV forum.

Anyway, I'll start my tests again looking to see whether a client end fix is still necessary.

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 04:17:00 PM »
Just to clarify. For timers I was setting for Pointless today, I was previously getting timers sent out to Fri 14 Apr, and the one for Fri 14 didn't have a description. I'm now getting the timers for the same recording sent out only up to Wed 12 Apr. They all have descriptions. Are Thu 13 Apr timers not being sent because the 7th day doesn't always have a full EPG, even though it does at the moment?

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
    • IceTV
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 04:54:14 PM »
Just to clarify. For timers I was setting for Pointless today, I was previously getting timers sent out to Fri 14 Apr, and the one for Fri 14 didn't have a description. I'm now getting the timers for the same recording sent out only up to Wed 12 Apr. They all have descriptions. Are Thu 13 Apr timers not being sent because the 7th day doesn't always have a full EPG, even though it does at the moment?

Yep. Exactly that.

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 05:12:14 PM »
OK, thanks Daniel.

Is there likely to be any use in adding the "fill in" code for missing descriptions?

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
    • IceTV
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 05:38:09 PM »
None that I can think of, extra checking is always good.

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 06:06:24 PM »
OK. I'll probably add it anyway.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Common setup pitfalls using IceTV with Plex

Started by Daniel Hall at IceTV on Plex

0 Replies
Last post July 01, 2019, 05:33:55 PM