Author Topic: Failure with ...  (Read 3682 times)

Offline xanthi

• View Profile
Failure with ...
« on: March 08, 2010, 02:54:34 PM »
an unknown error" is the message that I get when I try to update the IceTV epg. Not only that the BeyonWiz instead of remaining on "enabled" switches over to "disabled" without 'human' intervention.

Emptied both the epg caches without success.

BeyonWiz ... the dream of PVR

Perhaps I should just pull the plug!

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Failure with ...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 03:27:06 PM »
It might be helpful if you gave a bit more information. Like where the error message appears, and what firmware version you're running, assuming that you do actually want to try to fix the problem. The IceTV EPG has been quite behaved since a couple of months after the major upgrade of the IceTV service.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Offline xanthi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 05:32:36 PM »
PVR is BeyonWiz S1. Firmware is latest DPS1-01.05.320 and the constant error I get is when I want to update the IceTV epg as stated in the original message. Unit is over two years old, is wirelessly networked (MAC address) through a firewall router. All has worked splendidly until 7TWO came on the scene. The Logical Channel Number (LNC) is set to 66 rather than 62 (Hobart) after a full scan but gives clear picture/sound.
When disabling the IceTV epg to freewiew epg I get a listing. When enabling IceTV the listing disappears and attempting to update gives the error as described above (first message).

Oh the BeyonWiz. Now another problem has appeared. After switching the unit off, waiting approximately 10 minutes and switching on again I got (A What!) hdd check. All past well (Relief!) but on further investigation I now have a four (4) second file (ABC!) on the drive that cannot be deleted, moved, renamed or whatever else I tried.

Incidentally; Although a full scan gives two different LCN's The unit Favourites  is set-up for single LCN's, i.e., the main transmitting tower on top of mount Wellington.

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 06:16:39 PM »
You didn't say where the error message appears. On the IceTV Web page or in the status window in SETUP>Network>IceTV (or somewhere else)?

You get two different LCNs for 7TWO? That's unusual. Is it 62 and 66? If not, what are they? You only mentiond one number. If you press LIST on the remote, then BLUE for All Service, and then first select one 7TWO LCN, then the other, do they have the same broadcast channel number and frequency (bottom left of the All Services popup)? The LCN is beside the service name in the list.

Is it possible that the Beyonwiz is picking up signals from both Mt Wellington and Government Hills (Risdon) transmitters? The Beyonwiz doesn't handle that situation well, but it can be worked around. Nothing you do with Favorites will fix the problems caused by scanning two transmitters.

When you say "After switching the unit off, waiting approximately 10 minutes and switching on again I got (A What!) hdd check", did you shut down from the front panel or the remote first? Many PVRs, including the Beyonwiz, don't take well to being switched off at the mains while they're running, and a HDD check after that has happened is normal. The ABC recording problem may have been caused by a mains poweroff while it was running. One of the causes of a recording being not able to be deleted, moved, etc, can be fixed, oddly enough, by playing the recording. What error message do you get when you try to move or delete the recording?

Offline xanthi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 03:21:25 PM »
First of all my apologies for the late reply. Had to leave for Melbourne for a couple of days. Anyway, the Beyonwiz is working again. Bought an Antec MX-1 with a 1 terabyte drive which (unfortunately) I had to format using the Beyonwiz and then move all the recordings to the MX-1 (very slow :-)). Reformatted the internal drive and was surprised that the file structure and 'to be recorded' remained in tact. Very clever!

Secondly, I did a partial scan of the various frequencies in Hobart and got LCN 62 instead of 66 so now I get the IceTV for channel 7TWO.

Thanks for the replies and trying to straighten out my problem with IceTV and the Beyonwiz and once again my apologies for the belated reply.

Cheers, xanthi 

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 04:39:57 PM »
... Reformatted the internal drive and was surprised that the file structure and 'to be recorded' remained in tact. Very clever!
I'm not sure what you mean by the file structure remaining intact through a HDD format. But anyway, only recordings and caches are held on the HDD. Settings, favourites, scanned services and timers are all held in a partition of the same flash that holds the firmware (actually two copies in two partitions), and so aren't affected by HDD Format. Conversely, a Factory Settings reset will reset all settings to defaults, and delete all favourites, scanned services and timers, but won't affect recordings. Clear Service Information will only clear favourites, scanned services and timers.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

thumbdown
Login Failure

Started by srto2 on Beyonwiz

25 Replies
Last post April 24, 2017, 04:43:01 PM
by prl
xx
Repeated Timer Failures - Anyone Else?

Started by Ragdoll on Topfield

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2016, 10:40:07 PM