Author Topic: EPG Prgramming - Sadly no solution yet!  (Read 5755 times)

Offline afs

• View Profile
EPG Prgramming - Sadly no solution yet!
« on: January 27, 2009, 04:55:53 PM »
Hi, Back again with the same old subject, the IceTV EPG.

I have attemted to have my problem resolved before, but my question may have been misunderstood or difficult to interpret.

So here is another try.

I have a Beyonwiz S1.

I have a pre record pad of 1 minute and a post record pad of 2 minutes.

Before using IceTV, if I wanted to record 3 consecutive programs on the same TV channel I would simply record the first show and extend it by two hours to record the next two shows, and then later cut and paste into three programs. This worked perfectly.

Now, using IceTV I record as follows:
Program 1    6:30-7:30
Program 2    7:30-8:30
Program 3    8:30-9:30

The result I get is that the last minutes of program 1 are seen at the start of program 2, and the last minutes of program 2 are shown at the start of program 3.  VERY FRUSTRATING!

So I got clever - I recorded Program 1 through the IceTV EPG on my computer, then added 2 hours onto this program on my Beyonwiz. DID NOT WORK. The next IceTV update over rode my settin and I only got one program.

I realize that IceTV is an interactive solution, but I feel I need to ability to lock into a program to my requirements and not have it over written.

The current result is that I have become so frustrated that I have (temporarily I hope) disenabled IceTV until I have a satisfactory resoltion.

I really like many of IceTV's features, but I am very dissatisfied with the results thus far. I want to extend beyond my trial subscription to a paying subscription, but without a solution to my problem I can't see this happening.

There are many users who are wrapt in IceTV so I am probably doing something stupid.

If anyone out there can help me I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in anticipation, AFS

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: EPG Prgramming - Sadly no solution yet!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 05:19:46 PM »
Have a look at the discussion in Timer Padding & Joining schedules. There have been discussions about it on the Beyonwiz and DTV forums, too.

There isn't really any way to do this except by using a manual combined timer set up on the Beyonwiz, after you delete the recordings on IceTV and have them propagate to the Beyonwiz.

This isn't really a Beyonwiz-specific issue, I think it's common to all IceTV Interactive implementations.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Offline JPP

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 05:26:50 PM »
Ok, I'll have a go at it  ;). The three programs you have listed should be able to be covered by the 2 tuners in the Wiz. I have my pre and post padding set to 5 and 20 min resp, so a heck of a lot more that you ;D.

Now, what I and many others would like, is to be able to simply concatinate/merge the 3 programs, just like you can so easily do with JustEPG on the Toppy.

Now, to be able to merge recordings, they must all be of the same type, i.e. all weekly, or weekdays or single etc. Provided that this criteria is met, it should be possible for ICETV to simply send out a merged timer.

BUT, I can see that they are reluctant to do so. Here is why. When you set a timer using ICETV, it becomes a PROGRAM type of timer, NOT a static type which is what you do when you set a timer, be it via EPG or manually, on the Wiz.

So, a weekly timer set for say Top Gear, will be sent to your Wiz as a single ONCE only timer, week by week, UNTIL the show no longer airs when it will stop sending the timer.

Now, if you had set this timer directly on the Wiz, you would merily be recording a non existent Top Gear after it had finsihed for the season.

ICETV closely mimics the TiVo is this respect - you record Programs, not time slots. That's why we have such things called Season passes in TiVo parlance or Series recordings in ICETV speak.

So, while it is possible to do what we all want, live can get pretty complicated when you set recording timers according to the programs you want to record and not just simply for a trime slot.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 05:34:04 PM »
Ok, I'll have a go at it  ;). The three programs you have listed should be able to be covered by the 2 tuners in the Wiz. I have my pre and post padding set to 5 and 20 min resp, so a heck of a lot more that you ;D.

It's very clear from the context that afs is recording Programs 1, 2 and 3 all on the same service: "the last minutes of program 1 are seen at the start of program 2, and the last minutes of program 2 are shown at the start of program 3". That's exactly the behaviour you get when recording consecutive programs on the same service on the Topfield HD PVRs and on Beyonwiz, and either have padding off or (on the Beyonwiz) padding priority set to Pre or None.

afs: one workaround is that if programs 1, 2 and 3 are being simulcast on SD and HD, record programs 1 and 3 on HD and program 2 on SD (or vice versa). Not really satisfactory, and it only works for simulcast programs, but it may get you around some of your recording problems.

Offline tonymy01

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 09:16:18 PM »
One issue with deleting the 2 following timers to extend the 1st timer is you are telling ICE interactive, when you delete the 2 timers "I don't want to record these for this week" and so ICE obliges by not resending the timers down for the subsequent shows for the week (but not nice that it deletes your manually extended 1st timer and puts a single prog spanning timer into its place I suppose).
I have learned to live with the issue now thanks to the new sort order changes in the latest firmware, as when I am watching a show now it will move to the next file in the series with very little disturbance.   However, if you watch the files out of order (and delete them after watching), make sure you save the bit of file you haven't watched first (by truncating the watched part of the file is the easiest way).
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

Offline dddp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 09:55:49 AM »
So, if the OP had no soft padding set and just selected P1, P2 and P3 via ice then manually edited P1 to include 1 min prepadding then manaully edited P3 to include 10mins post padding would he end with all 3 programs recorded with padding included?

I ask as I'm considering activating my free 3 mth offer and the ability to overcome this type of problem the OP asks about is important to me too
Two Wizzs, a P2 and a P1

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 10:35:13 AM »
So, if the OP had no soft padding set and just selected P1, P2 and P3 via ice then manually edited P1 to include 1 min prepadding then manaully edited P3 to include 10mins post padding would he end with all 3 programs recorded with padding included?

I ask as I'm considering activating my free 3 mth offer and the ability to overcome this type of problem the OP asks about is important to me too

The OP's problem was that IceTV overwrote his manual changes to his timers. I suspect that it would do the same for the manual changes you're suggesting, too. I haven't tried this.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Your Money EPG data gone

Started by pcss on IceTV EPG Content

6 Replies
Last post May 24, 2019, 02:16:07 PM
by BazzaG
xx
epg error

Started by garrycox1953 on IceTV EPG Content

4 Replies
Last post November 21, 2018, 09:50:38 PM