Author Topic: EPG idle  (Read 7044 times)

Offline charlotte

• View Profile
EPG idle
« on: January 24, 2009, 07:53:28 PM »
I've been trying to network my Beyoniz with my pc.  May be just a coincidence, but now I have no data in my EPG and it's shown as "idle" on the Beyonwiz setup page.

How can I get from idle to active or has there been a programming problem?  I'm in Perth.

Have just found a simple way to format my external HD to FAT32 so I can use it with the Beyonwiz, so at least that's a win!

Offline tonymy01

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: EPG idle
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 08:53:26 PM »
Have you put your account details in the ICE setup in the Wiz and enabled ICETV?   Have you selected the device in the wiz that you have setup in the ICE account/setup webpages?
Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

Offline charlotte

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 09:17:40 PM »
Tks for your reply.  Have been using IceTV for the last four months.  Not quite sure what your second question means....yes, I was trying to network with the pc but not successful.  Have disabled the LAN on the Wiz and will try to undo what I set up on the pc, to get me back to where I was before.

Offline charlotte

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 10:34:04 PM »
 :(  Don't know what I've done, but after disabling and then enabling IceTV I now have nothing as the status.  If I click on 'check user info', I get the message 'network connection failed.  Check the network setting first'.

I assume this means that the Beyonwiz is no longer listening to info sent from my pc.  I have disabled the setting 'network device'.

I have revisited my account page, which says that I haven't had a 'fetch' since yesterday at 4:10 pm, which was when I was trying to set up the network with the pc.  I tried manually, using a usb stick and also wireless.

How do I reestablish the happy marriage between my Beyonwiz and the epg guide?   Any clues?  >:(

Offline tonymy01

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 11:56:05 PM »
You have the Wiz directly connected to your PC?  Wow, not a good setup for many reasons (PC firewall getting in the road, PC Internet Connection Sharing going silly, PC NIC card issues, PC needs to be on etc etc).   Can you connect the wiz to your home router (which may be your internet router too!)?
What I was saying (in a round about way) before was:
1.  You need to setup a "Device" in your ICE preferences on the ICE website.
2.  You need to make sure once you put your correct user/password details into the Wiz, that you select the device you setup in step 1. also into the Wiz.
Regards

Offline charlotte

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 12:24:51 AM »
Sorry about my terminology.  I was trying to set up my Wiz to work with a wireless router which I use for my pc and laptop.  Wasn't successful and I don't want to fiddle any more with that at the moment.  Just want to get my epg back.
1.  Yes I checked that the device selected (wiz) was still correct on ice website.
2.  Device selected is wiz in Setup, but I still get 'network connection failed' when I try to 'check user info'.

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 07:04:32 AM »
Hi, Charlotte.

Since you've changed your Network setup (SETUP>Network>Setting), have you checked that that's working correctly, that you have the correct Network Device set there, and that DHCP has set sensible values for the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway and at least the Primary DNS Server?

As tonymy01 said, you also need to set the Select Device in SETUP>Network>IceGuide to the name of he IceGuide device you set up in your IceTV account on the Web page.

You said "I have disabled the setting 'network device'." That was probably the wrong thing to do. Which setting exactly?
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3 & T4 for testing

Offline charlotte

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 09:58:09 AM »
 :D  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I was talking about set up>network>setting>network device>disable.

After reading your reply I tried 'enable' but that didn't work and then realized that I also needed to disable 'DHCP' to get the values required (as you mentioned) - I had DHCP enabled.

Now the guide is back and all's right with the world.

As an aside, I just formatted an external HDD to FAT32 using Swissknife and am attempting my first 'move' of a film, but am surprised at how long it takes.  I realize that this is an Ice, not a Beyonwiz forum, but do you know if that is the only way to use the HDD with the wiz?  You have to record to wiz HDD and copy to external HDD?  Am I missing something, or is everything still pretty antiquainted with these processes?  When I bought the wiz, I wondered why the HDD was so small.

Many thanks again.    ;D

Offline tonymy01

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 10:21:31 AM »
Most of us put the big HDDs inside the Wiz instead (well, those that can argue the act of breaking the warranty seal to achieve this did not cause the failure of something else if we had to have a warranty claim).   It transfers at a pedestrian 3-4Megabyte/s which is only about twice the speed of a HD broadcast (well, not even that, a HD broadcast=16megabit/s=2megabyte/s).  So a 1hour HD show is going to take around 30mins to transfer.   Similar speeds for transferring to the network. 
The easiest way to transfer is to access the Wiz with WizPNP using WizFX (beyonwiz app) or getWizPNP(PRL/Peters app) etc to get the files off the wiz with no bargraph transfer display, and you can set it up to transfer overnight or whatever.    And if you copy the transferred files to a network share (or transfer them to the network share in one step) then you can play them from the Wiz that way (but transfer speeds are still a similar speed to that of transferring to the USB HDD).
Regards

Offline prl

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 11:40:40 AM »
Though network transfer using WizFX or getWizPnP is more convenient than lugging USB drives around, it isn't any faster (it will probably be slower, no better than about 3MB/s). There are some speed tests in the Beyonwiz forum (done for another purpose, and divide by 8 to go from Mib/s to MiB/s).

Offline charlotte

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 02:41:14 PM »
Thanks for all that.  I don't need to move the usb HDD, can just uplug it if I need to use the port for something else.  I think for now I'll just stay with what I've set up.

I guess eventually there will be a Wiz with a bigger hard drive - or another media centre/puter.  Are there better ones than the Wiz in Oz (no pun intended), but not at a ridiculous price?

Share via facebook Share via twitter

xx
Your Money EPG data gone

Started by pcss on IceTV EPG Content

6 Replies
Last post May 24, 2019, 02:16:07 PM
by BazzaG
xx
epg error

Started by garrycox1953 on IceTV EPG Content

4 Replies
Last post November 21, 2018, 09:50:38 PM